Blog and newsNews
Money Machine Part II - Your Brokerage Account with Mundo
Welcome to the Money Machine, Mundo’s latest section on the way the top family offices in the world make money. In this section, we focus on the wealth generation strategies of some of the world’s wealthiest family offices and work from the simplest to the more complex strategies.
The Money Machine column is overseen by a team of Mundo’s investment experts and is designed to cover the algorithm for establishing a perpetual financial master plan for your family office.
We begin this section by talking about one of the first things that a family office must do: establish an offshore brokerage account.
What is this? An international brokerage account is simply a bank account with a firm licensed to trade in various securities such as bonds, shares, crypto assets, funds, and even Forex. And we can offer you the best offshore brokerage account possibilities.
Today more than ever there are many brokerage firms to choose from but not all are the same as we will discuss below. But first let’s examine the reasons why brokerage accounts are an essential element of family office wealth planning.
Why a Brokerage Account?
Today, more than ever, the importance of proper wealth planning and structuring in times of Coronavirus is essential for financial survival. The importance of having an investment account for your company or business is essential for the following reasons:
Reason 1: Safety.
A bank is in the business of using your money to lend to other people, usually at high leverage. This means that as soon as you place your money in a bank account it is no longer yours or your company’s money. In fact, if the bank goes bankrupt (something likely to happen to numerous banks in the next five years. Remember the US crash in 2008, the Cyprus and Greek Crisis, the perpetual Argentinian crisis, etc.), you cannot ask for your money because, by law, you are simply a creditor of the bank. In a best-case scenario, you can receive a small percentage of your money. This is not the case of a brokerage account.
The money in the fintech brokerage account does not belong to the broker but is held in trust for you. This means that in the case of liquidation, the liquidator cannot touch it. There is a further safety mechanism: if the money is in bonds, shares, or investments then these investments are held in your name and are even harder to get at.
Reason 2: Diversification.
Holding your company’s or personal money in a bank account puts all your eggs in one basket because you are usually holding it in one currency, one jurisdiction, one account, and in cash. You need a diversified investment strategy. If the currency drops, the country goes through some turmoil, or your account gets frozen for whatever reason, you can lose a large part of your wealth overnight.
In a brokerage account, especially with a reliable broker, you can invest in multiple products to diversify risk. For example, buying bonds in multiple countries, buying shares across multiple jurisdictions, hold multi-currency and Forex positions, buying equities, and even trading crypto funds. A properly structured portfolio can hedge your hard-earned money against multiple risks.
Reason 3: Income.
Family offices and their advisers have known for a long time that holding your money in a bank is the worst thing you can do because it does not even beat inflation. Many banks offer interests that are far below the inflation rate so your savings are actually eaten away.
A brokerage account allows you to access literally an entire world of investments. This means you can access bond markets where you can gain above bank returns, crypto funds which have given investors skyrocketing income, and even share markets such as tech ETFs which are set to give double-digit growth in the upcoming recession.
And the most important of all: The brokerage account, in fact, can be used as a hedge fund to insure against ordinary business risks surrounding the usual business of a family office. Let us say, for example, that you are a family office that is a developer investing in large-scale land developments in Panama. Your brokerage account would likely hold a collection of precious metals, hi-tech and biotech equities, and possible crypto funds to hedge against the risk of a falling real estate market. This way, liquidity can be effectively managed and created via hedging and diversification.
Which broker to use?
We have spoken to many of our family office clients and their advisors. Although opinions differ in the choice of a broker, what we have identified is a general consensus as to what family offices are increasingly looking for when they choose a brokerage. Here are the major ones:
1) Fees: The global pandemic has seen family office and brokers themselves leaving the expensive high maintenance brokerage houses who spend a lot on large offices and marketing. This is because large, well-located brokerage houses charge large fees for something that can be done from home. The trend now seems to be more and more to use Fintech brokers (brokerage houses optimizing the latest online technology without high-cost office space) and their own family office advisers working from home.
Large transaction fees eat away all profit.
The trend therefore is to engage a family office wealth advisor to work through a fintech brokerage so that the family’s strategy can be implemented. This strategy has the best of both worlds with a pool of professional teams as needed and low-cost transaction fees.
2) Licenses: The regulation of the brokerage house is very important. If the brokerage is established in jurisdictions of low reputation or which have no oversight the risks of your money being lost or wasted or, worse, stolen rises exponentially. A reputable licensing regime ensures that the broker has passed many of the necessary hurdles required by a good regulator. Such hurdles include segregation of risks, competent staff, correct banking practices, insurance, etc.
3) Custodian bank: The reliability of the bank that holds the brokerage houses accounts, often referred to as the custodian bank, is a key element in the choice of the banking relationship. Ideally, the bank should be large and stable and should be in a politically-neutral and stable jurisdiction. This is why many American and European houses are actually risky.
4) Offshore: The ideal choice is an offshore brokerage. That is one whose services and assets are located primarily offshore and can open accounts for offshore entities in low tax jurisdictions. This is key as most family offices are located in offshore jurisdictions that do not tax profits made on offshore brokerage. Having your brokerage house offshore also mitigates political, economic, and other risks. Thus, the offshore brokerage has its banking and its licensing predominantly offshore, and preferably in several jurisdictions.
5) Capitalization: The sheer financial volume of funds held by the brokerage house is very important. The larger the house, the smaller the risk that individual mistakes or errors can affect your investment. For example, if you hold your money in a small brokerage house, partners can simply take it with little chance of a return. However, the chances of a brokerage house that has hundreds of millions or billions invested of stealing your money is next to zero.
Your brokerage account with Mundo
Having searched accounts in many locations and looked at many options, the Mundo team of experts has located one of the top Fintech brokerages. It is one of the world’s top trading platforms and offers the following advantages:
A. The brokerage house is licensed in Hong Kong, Cyprus, the UK, and regulated in several other top jurisdictions. It is a global investment company. They provide DMA and OTC access to over 60 markets all over the world through their one-stop trading platform. They build infrastructure and trading solutions from scratch, meaning they are flexible to change on demand.
B. The flexibility and options are ideal for HNW individuals, family offices, wealth managers, brokerage houses, and institutional investors. For professional investors, they use ING and HSBC for client cash management. They practice asset segregation according to MiFID II.
C. The house holds over a billion dollars in client funds. Support is given 24/7 by dedicated account staff.
D. Your funds are managed with HSBC and ING bank as custodians which are two of the world’s top banks. Access to banks in China is also possible.
E. The brokerage allows you access to all traditional instruments in multiple jurisdictions and currencies including funds, bonds, equities, futures, options, and even investing in crypto assets. It is one of the first brokerages in the world that provided access to Bitcoin spot and futures from a single account
This brokerage platform and house is, therefore, ideal for family offices and individuals who wish to establish themselves as a family office.
Why work with our partners?
There are hundreds of options in the market. Why choose our partners?
1) They are licensed in Hong Kong, the UK, Malta, and Cyprus (which have passporting rights in the EU, meaning they are licensed in all the EU).
2) They have a solid financial standing with an equity of over $60 million and total assets over $1.5 billion.
3) Our partners have a global customer base of over 7,000 clients of more than 100 countries. They provide 24/7 customer service in English, Spanish, Mandarin, Russian, Portuguese, and many other languages.
4) They have a proven track record of over 10 years in the market.
5) Locals in Europe and Asia: they run local representation in 10 global financial hubs, including London, Amsterdam, Malta, Cyprus, Hong Kong, Moscow, and others.
6) They have top talent on board with over 300 employees ranging from traders and marketing specialists to tech support engineers.
7) Our partners offer an all-in-one trading platform that will allow you to trade all kinds of securities with access to:
- More than 150,000 financial instruments.
- Over 60 markets.
- Around 400 servers around the world collecting real-time data.
The Mundo Brokerage Package
Mundo’s team has brought you something very special. For clients approved by our team of experts we offer:
- Free consultation from our experts on your wealth strategy.
- A brokerage account with investment as low as a $50,000 as capital for your existing company.
- A company or foundation or trust to hold the account for full asset protection and tax optimization in a jurisdiction without worldwide taxes.
- Optional: a dedicated offshore investment adviser from our advisory team to help you or your new family office manage your wealth and execute your strategy.
- Banking and Accounts
- Family Office
- Real Estate Investments
- Corporate Structures
- Philosophy of Money
- Crypto and Forex
- Residency and Citizenship
- Investment and Finance
- AML System for your Bank
- Assets Registration
- Master Minds
- Money Machine
- Expat Living in
- Financial Licenses
- Taxes and Tax Residency
- Trust and Asset Protection
- Grenada citizenship: What is the best investment passport I can get if I want to do business with China? What is the most ideal investment passport in 2023? There's only one correct answer: the one that fi...
- Real estate in Panama 2023: what real estate project to choose for a family If you decided to move to Panama with your family, the time is now. For real estate in Panama, 2023 ...
- Advantages and disadvantages of an IBC in Seychelles A Seychelles company is a valuable asset in your financial structure. This country has a qualified p...
- Give birth in Panama and provide your children with a better future Citizenship in Panama is a coveted asset for individuals from countries that are looking for better ...
- Why choose an LLC in Belize? An LLC is a great alternative for your offshore company. This structure has excellent asset protecti...
- Five reasons why you should get the qualified investor visa in 2023 If you want to invest in Panama, 2023 is the best year. If you're wondering why, here's a piece that...
- The top 5 jurisdictions to get citizenship in 2023 If you're wondering where to get citizenship in 2023, you've come to the right place. Immigration ha...
- Why move your company abroad? Corporate in the Caribbean Mundo readers know that we've published many articles about getting a second passport. Moving to a n...
Open a Bank Account
Open a Company
Obtain a Financial License
Create a Trust
Establish Your Family Office
Send Us Your Task