Blog and newsBlog
How to Get Maltese Citizenship by Investment
All good things come to an end. And this happened to the Maltese citizenship by investment program; its well-known Maltese Individual Investor Program was widely known as the best and most reputable in the world.
However, sometimes that quote from ‘The Dark Knight’ applies to CBI programs: “You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain”, and some programs have been shut down because the pressure was high, especially after Cyprus had to cancel its own program.
Although the previous Malta Individual Investor program is not available anymore, there is an alternative that is acquiring permanent residency by investment and with greater benefits. Thus, do not worry; you can still get a Maltese citizenship.
Maltese residency and applying for Maltese citizenship by investment
Fierce political debates preceded the final introduction of the initial program, the IIP. Yet, from 2014, the government enacted the program but capped it at 1800 main applicants. The Malta Individual Investor Program Agency processed over 2000 applications, approving 1408 and refusing 403 in both advanced and initial stages. During its four years of duration, it generated over 1.5 billion euros for the island’s economy.
Yet, the EU changed the Member States’ naturalization regulations, which led Malta to overhaul its RBI and CBI schemes.
The new solution is a mix of both in a brand-new program available for those wishing to become European citizens. It is a residency by investment program that allows applicants to become Maltese citizens after one or three years, depending on the amount invested.
Under the new program, you must first become a Maltese resident to qualify for citizenship. The requirements are the following:
- A donation to the government of 750,000 euros to become a citizen after one year and 600,000 euros to become a citizen after three years.
- A donation to a registered nonprofit organization in Malta.
- Acquisition of a residential property of at least 700,000 euros or renting one for at least 16,000 euros.
- For any additional dependent, the primary applicant must pay 50,000 euros.
This new scheme has a limit of 1,500 applications. Contact our experts for more information.
Maltese citizenship - What else should you know?
- You can include your spouse, dependent children up to 28 years old, and dependent parents and grandparents over 55 years old.
- You will be able to live, work, and invest visa-free and unrestrictedly within the EU.
- You can travel to the US visa-free.
- You will become eligible for the Maltese non-dom regime, which will allow you to acquire a special tax residency where you will be taxed 15% only over your local income.
Getting a second homeland
At Mundo, we like to highlight the fact that this program is not about buying Maltese citizenship. On the contrary, it is about a contribution to the country and its economy. The Malta Individual Investor program raised 1.5 billion euros that contributed to the island´s development. Moreover, this new program is intended to gather funds that will be used for the people´s wellbeing and restoration of the economy, considering the crisis caused by the coronavirus during 2020, and to help nonprofit organizations in their altruistic goals for the benefit of the community.
Also, the applicant and his family will be required to have property in the country and to spend time in it, thus mixing with the country´s cultural environment and the people. When applying for this program, you won´t be buying Maltese citizenship, but will be getting a new homeland where you can develop your cultural self and learn from the rich exchange experience.
What can we do for you?
We work with Discus Holdings, one of the largest CBI and RBI providers in Europe. Their headquarters is in Valetta, Malta’s breathtaking capital. They were among the first few official agents of the residency and citizenship by investment programs, enjoying an unparalleled record of approvals. They work with one of the top real estate developers in Malta, which will help you have the best real estate options in the market.
Malta has one of the most reputable CBI programs in the world and the only one yet available within the EU. Applying for Maltese citizenship is still possible through this new residency program. Contact us immediately and we will put you in touch with our experts in order to apply to the Maltese citizenship by investment.
- Banking and Accounts
- Family Office
- Real Estate Investments
- Corporate Structures
- Philosophy of Money
- Crypto and Forex
- Residency and Citizenship
- Investment and Finance
- AML System for your Bank
- Assets Registration
- Master Minds
- Money Machine
- Expat Living in
- Financial Licenses
- Taxes and Tax Residency
- Trust and Asset Protection
- Grenada citizenship: What is the best investment passport I can get if I want to do business with China? What is the most ideal investment passport in 2023? There's only one correct answer: the one that fi...
- Real estate in Panama 2023: what real estate project to choose for a family If you decided to move to Panama with your family, the time is now. For real estate in Panama, 2023 ...
- Advantages and disadvantages of an IBC in Seychelles A Seychelles company is a valuable asset in your financial structure. This country has a qualified p...
- Give birth in Panama and provide your children with a better future Citizenship in Panama is a coveted asset for individuals from countries that are looking for better ...
- Why choose an LLC in Belize? An LLC is a great alternative for your offshore company. This structure has excellent asset protecti...
- Five reasons why you should get the qualified investor visa in 2023 If you want to invest in Panama, 2023 is the best year. If you're wondering why, here's a piece that...
- The top 5 jurisdictions to get citizenship in 2023 If you're wondering where to get citizenship in 2023, you've come to the right place. Immigration ha...
- Why move your company abroad? Corporate in the Caribbean Mundo readers know that we've published many articles about getting a second passport. Moving to a n...
Open a Bank Account
Open a Company
Obtain a Financial License
Create a Trust
Establish Your Family Office
Send Us Your Task