- Program Type: Citizenship
- Total investment raised: 600000
- Total passports issued: 7000
- Visa-free destinations: 186
- Accredited AgentsSee program essentials such as prices, requirements, timelines, investment options
- Accredited AgentsThe official list of companies and individuals licensed to submit applications to the government under the program.
- Accredited AgentsSee the most frequently asked questions about this program, along with their answers.
Malta, located at the crossroads of Europe, North Africa and the Middle East, is a member of the European Union (EU) and the Schengen Area. The island nation’s fast-growing economy is rated A+ by Fitch and A2 by Moody’s, presenting endless opportunities for investors.
Moreover, its political and economic stability provides first-class health service and a top educational system to the people. Malta was also rated the 2nd safest country in the world in 2020. It is also repeatedly recognized among countries with the best climate in the world.
Malta uses English as a primary language. Its beautiful weather, rich history and culture, favorable regime for businesses continuously attract high-net-worth individuals across the globe.
Requirements of Maltese citizenship by naturalization
The application for Malta Citizenship by Naturalisation for Exceptional Services by Direct Investment is thoroughly checked and assessed and undergoes a four-tier due diligence process. To qualify, the following requirements must be fulfilled:
• A minimum age of 18 years for all applicants
• A contribution of at least EUR 600,000 for a minimum residence period of 36 months or EUR 750,000 for a minimum of 12 months
• The purchase of a residential property in Malta of at least EUR 700,000, which must be held for five years. Alternatively, the lease of a residential property with a rental value of at least EUR 16,000 per annum, also held for five years. Please note that the property cannot be sublet during this five-year period. A 36-month (or 18-month, by exception) lease agreement or property purchase is required during the residence period
• A donation of at least EUR 10,000 to a registered sport, cultural, scientific, philanthropic, animal welfare, or artistic non-governmental organization or society, as approved by the Community Malta Agency
• Legal residence of Malta for at least 36 months (or 12 months, by exception), which includes the lease of a residential property with a rental value of at least EUR 16,000 per annum, held for that same period. Applicants require a valid residence card in order to apply for citizenship
What's the difference between Citizenship and Permanent Residency?
You will be granted with a full set of rights, privileges, duties and responsibilities equivalent to those of Maltese Citizens.
You will have the legal right to live in Malta and ancillary rights thereto.
You have the automatic right to work in Malta.
Once you are offered a job, a work permit must be obtained.
Maltese Citizenship never expires unless given up.
Residency cards have to be renewed from time to time before expiry.
Maltese Citizenship is hereditary - once obtained it is passed onto future generations.
Maltese Residency has to be obtained on an individual basis and cannot be transferred. This is not the case under the MRVP where it is possible to pass on residency rights to future generations in certain instances.
Maltese Citizenship cannot be revoked easily.
Maltese residency can be revoked.
In terms of the Malta Citizenship by Investment, you have to fulfil and satisfy the investment requirements for a minimum of 5 years.
Certain requirements must continue to subsist to retain the residency status.
You can vote as a citizen.
You can not vote as a resident.
You can travel visa-free e/TA to an ever-increasing list of countries, currently 167 countries.
You can travel visa-free to 26 Schengen states.
You can work in all 27 EU member states.
You need a permit to work in other EU countries.
You can stay in all 27 EU member states for as long as you like subject to certain registration requirements that may be applicable in the respective country.
You can stay up to 90 days per every 180 days within the Schengen Zone.
Your children born in Malta or outside of Malta will automatically be Maltese citizens.
Your children, even if born in Malta, will not be Maltese citizens but may be entitled to Maltese residence as a family member.
Eligible dependents may apply together with the main applicant under Malta Citizenship by Investment.
The primary applicant and eligible family members must apply for residence separately (MRVP covers eligible dependents at one go).
You can acquire Citizenship through various routes, like:
- Malta Citizenship by Registration including registration after marriage;
- Malta Citizenship by Birth or Descent; and
- Malta Citizenship by Naturalisation including through the citizenship by investment.
You can obtain residency through a resident permit on different basis including under various schemes, like:
- Residence on the basis of inter alia employment/self-employment, study purposes, economic self-sufficiency, long-term residence and as a family member;
- Malta Residence and Visa Programme (MRVP); and
- Malta Global Residence Programme.
Benefits of Citizenship in Malta
Citizenship of Malta gives successful applicants endless opportunities. From business, family security, travel, to lifestyle, you can:
• Be part of the fast-growing economy
• Live in one of the safest countries in the world
• Access leading health care institutions
• Provide world-class education for your children
• Obtain citizenship status that is inherited by future generations even if born outside of Malta
• Gain freedom to travel to 167 countries including the USA, Canada, and Australia
• Gain the right to live, work, and study in all 27 EU member states, as well as Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Iceland
If you are granted citizenship by investment, you can;
Gain settlement rights in the following countries;
If you take up residence in Malta, you can Indefinitely reside, settle and stay in Malta and Once you achieve European Long-Term Residence status you gain increased rights in the following countries:
• Czech Republic
Procedures and time frame
Applications must be made on the prescribed forms and be accompanied by the appropriate fees and specific documents. Highly detailed due diligence checks are carried out and an application will be declined if it turns out that it contains false information or omissions.
If the Tier 1 due diligence checks completed by the Community Malta Agency are passed, the application for a residence permit will be submitted. After residence has been obtained, an eligibility application will be submitted and further (tiers 2, 3, and 4) due diligence checked will be made by the agency and presented to the relevant Maltese minister, who will decide on the applicant’s eligibility to apply for citizenship.
If successful, a citizenship application will be submitted to the Community Malta Agency after 36 months of residence (or 12 months by exception). After the minister has decided if the applicant can be granted Maltese citizenship, the successful applicant will then be required to fulfil the exceptional investment, donation, and property requirements. Thereafter, the applicant will be invited to take the oath of allegiance in Malta and be presented with a Maltese certificate of naturalization.
The Community Malta Agency will conduct continuous monitoring for five years.
What can we do for you?
In Mundo, our main goal is to help our clients in their pursuit of financial freedom. This means allowing them to move without any barrier or limit, enjoying their wealth and extraordinary moments with their families.
In our long-standing alliance with our main sponsor, we have developed a network of experts overseas that specialise in a wide range of services.
There are only a few places that rival Malta as the ideal place for a second residency. Like we told you above, our partners in Malta can help you through the process of registration, providing world-class advice so you can complete the process without any issues.
Obtain your second passport. Contact us now!
- About Malta
- Business Briefing
- Mundo’s Country Rating (out of 10)
- Why Mundo Loves Malta?
- Expat Living in Malta
- Residency and Citizenship
- Tax System
- Funds and Financial Licenses
- Forex, E-gaming and Crypto
- Real Estate Investment
- Companies and Structures in Malta
- Government Agencies in Malta
- Latest News in Malta
- Citizen Programs
- Why a Nevis company is the perfect 4th flag for international investors When it comes to managing global wealth, savvy investors are looking beyond the traditional Western ...
- Getting Grenada citizenship through the best investment Grenada is one of the most beautiful islands in the Caribbean region. Famous for its spices, Grenada...
- Vacation properties to rent in Panama: live like royalty in paradise! Wanderlust has been tickling your adventurous spirit, and you've found yourself drawn to the tropica...
- Why trust in Nevis? Establish your financial plan in the long term with citizenship by investment and trusts Mundo was born from one of our dearest and more qualified financial experts. Our philosophy from the...
- EMI license in Spain: unlocking the European market for your business If you’re wondering what is an EMI license, you’ve come to the right place. An electronic money lice...
- Panama vs Argentina: lifestyle comparison for investors and expats Many people are moving to Panama looking for new opportunities in different areas of life. This incl...
- Discover the secret gateway to the Caribbean for global investors: Nevis company revealed! A company that can thrive in a foreign land, away from prying eyes and scrutiny, is a sought-after c...
- Crypto-friendly company in Bulgaria: leading the charge in the Balkans! The financial world is quite interesting. There are plenty of options for businesspeople to make mon...
Open a Bank Account
Open a Company
Obtain a Financial License
Create a Trust
Establish Your Family Office
Send Us Your Task